Wednesday, December 7

School Spirit

Facebook has been lit up by this article:
http://thestudentreview.org/2011/12/06/byu-idaho-bans-skinny-jeans/

Everyone is so upset, and all in an uproar. Here are some of the posts:

This is why i left. BYU-I doesn't believe in free agency. They take it too far.


 the honor code is becoming an overgrown shrub that needs to be trimmed back. Students are speaking out against something they don't agree with, and it's their God-given right to do it. The "skinny jean" debacle is perhaps a tipping point for a lot of people who are growing tired of being treated like children.


 My wife's pants are skinny but not immodest. We have don't have the money to buy her a whole new wardrobe so she can wear MOM PANTS! This is ridiculous. I can't wait to graduate I'm all BYU-ed out now.


Sooo glad I peaced out of that school...I wear skinny jeans like, every day! Unbelievable...



It gets me all heated, and I have made a few drafts on people's posts, but don't think it is the appropriate place, and I don't want to cause drama. So here are my feelings, my thoughts, take them as you will:

For one second can I tell you how much it drives me bonkers that people complain about BYU-Idaho?!? Seriously it gets me so riled up! Especially when it is people who go there! YOU had a choice in what school to go to! Usually when I say that, the response is this was the only school they could afford, or their parents will only pay for school if they go to this one. Well then guess what buddy: 
BE GRATEFUL FOR IT! 

As for the whole article thing:
I don't think the real problem is skinny jeans: it's people who classify jeggings or leggings as skinny jeans. It's not only the honor code that says that "clothing should not be form fitting." But also the For the Strength of Youth says "immodest clothing includes tight clothing and other revealing attire." 
So if you have a problem with that standard, you have a problem with the church's standard. 

And to all those people who say that BYU-Idaho is taking away their free agency, how is this any different from a private elementary school that wears uniforms?! 
You chose the school and that means you chose it's rules. 
They didn't come to you begging you to come get a great education through them. The school has a standard and if you don't meet it they don't want you there. 


Ok, I'm done. I've got it all out and you won't hear more on the subject. Thanks for your time. xoxo

2 comments:

  1. Wonderful! I think the same thing every time someone complains about this kind of stuff. Maybe they need to enforce something like this at BYU - Provo because I see leggings with a short shirts/dresses all over that campus. Thanks for posting this!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think that the problem stems from where to draw the line, BYU-I is in a tough spot. How do you classify how tight is too tight? Especially when there are many people trying to enforce a rule that is very much in the grey area. If some of the students hadn't pushed it with too tight jeans or leggings they wouldn't have to make such a drastic feeling rule. I see this all the time with the girls I work with, if they are keeping the "spirit" of the law then less strict rules don't have to be made but when they're not following it a line has to be drawn. There's not a way to quantitatively measure the tightness of jeans so they just have to say no skinny jeans as the "letter" of the law.

    ReplyDelete